05 May, 2009

One Day at a Time

I'm back to work!
Yes, after 2 weeks of vacation in Manila I am now officially back to work again. However, before I came back to Singapore, I told the Lord to prepare my heart, my mind and my body physically, for what is about to come.You see, whenever I would handle big events, the enemy is ALWAYS on the attack, not just to me but to all of those who are with me in the frontline.He strikes in many areas of my life and I tell you, if I am not prepared, I should have surrendered and just totally given up long ago. I know in my heart that the victory is already mine because of Jesus, but I am not a hypocrite to say that things are easy. Most of the time, Christians commit mistakes when we underestimate the power of the enemy.I assure you, he is not the type who makes things easy! Like right now, the challenges that I am going through are those that will make any normal human being anxious and worried. At work things are sooooooo crazy, employees are being terminated each day. It's been an emotional and mental torture for most of us, coming to work thinking "I might be next". But then again, if it happens, then it happens!
For years, I entrusted my entire career to Him and He has shown Himself faithful all throughout. Who am I to even doubt that His plans are not always for the better? In fact, each time I would move to a new job, it gets better and better!:-) God is good!
Psalm 138:7
"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me."
Other than all the stresses at work, I am also getting slowly concerned about my health. I have been having asthma attacks here in SG and somehow I feel like my body is getting weak. This morning when I woke up I discovered a painful lump on the right side of my stomach and my dysmenorrhea was just so severe I coudn't even get up.Praise God though because later this afternoon the lump just suddenly dissappeared. :-) God is good.
As I go through this challenging time, the Lord brought me to the story of Hagar. She is an Egyptian slave and Sarah's bitter rival. (Gen.16; 21:8-21) Most people know her as the "concubine and a surrogate mother," to bear Abraham's heir. But you know what? there is actually so much more to learn from this woman than we thought.She was mistreated for many years which led her to the wilderness twice. The first was the time she discovered her pregnancy and began lording it over her mistress - not a very smart move I would say for a young woman bearing a child. The second was by force rather than by choice.In a crescendo of bitterness, Sarah had expelled her and her son Ishmael from their home.Can you just imagine how desperate her situations were on those two scenarios? Her bondage, her bitterness, her anxiety about the future? This is what really amazes me about Hagar - on those times when she felt like giving up, desperate and no one one to hold on to, SHE LISTENED TO GOD AND DEPENDED ON HIM!!! And whenener the Lord tells her to do something, she would do it without second thoughts. She wouldn't argue but just turned right around and retraced her steps in obedience. God's word penetrated the wilderness of her heart like a fresh spring nourishing a desert oasis. From the time she responded to the voice in the desert, she began to trust that GOD IS ALWAYS NEAR and that GOD SEES HER! whoa, what a comfort!
As the retreat comes, I pray that God will continue to give me an EXPECTANT HEART. I have always believe that retreats are good avenues for lives to change and for spirit renewal. And I am confident that God is going to do something great in the midst of those who will participate to this event.
From this day onwards, inspite of all uncertainties, I will take things ONE DAY AT A TIME for I know that GOD IS IN CONTROL! And in His arms I am safe! :-)
Psalm 4:8
"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."
Psalm 37:23-24
"The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way."
"Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand."

1 comment: